Sunday, May 27, 2007

Strawberry Whole-Wheat Pancakes

Every once in a while, I like to make a complicated Sunday breakfast-- something different than eggs or toast or Irish oatmeal. Because I have some buttermilk in the fridge, I went for pancakes. And because I had a few lovely strawberries left, I added them to the pancakes (this is modified from a Gourmet recipe):

  • 1/2 c flour (I used half whole-wheat and half all-purpose)
  • 1/2 tsp baking soda
  • 1/2 egg, lightly beaten (as in, beat it first, add half of the egg)
  • 1/2 c buttermilk
  • pinch salt
  • 4-5 strawberries, roughly sliced/chopped
  • Heat a griddle or non-stick frying pan over med-high heat. Add a little vegetable oil and wipe with a paper towel. When the pan is hot, make your pancakes!

These turned out surprisingly well. I didn't have syrup, but a little butter did just fine. They were excellent and fluffy. Yum! Next time, I might add a little brown sugar, but if you don't like things too sweet (which I don't), the perfectly ripe strawberries did the trick.

No comments: