Wednesday, May 16, 2007

Food Impasse, with kale

It's been a while since I had an update; I think that's mostly because I haven't had any amazing meals lately and I haven't been home enough to cook all that much. I also haven't gone grocery shopping. Shopping can shape a whole week; I either have lovely treats to cook up in creative ways, or I rummage through my cupboards trying to create a meal. Luckily for me, I always have a few things on hand: frozen meat of some sort (raw chicken or beef, or several servings of my mom's brisket), quinoa and noodles, soy sauce. I can almost always throw something together.

The other night I made a really yummy kale dish. It wasn't anything spectacular, but it was very good:
  • Slice half an onion
  • Saute in a little bit of olive oil on medium heat
  • Chop up some kale (stems too) and add to the onions
  • Add water and a little lemon juice to the pan
  • Cover
  • Stir occasionally; add in red pepper flakes
  • Cook to death
  • When all the liquid is absorbed, uncover and add a little lemon juice, salt and pepper. Cook until onions are nicely caramelized.

But now, I'm out of kale. Bummer. So I made chicken and cauliflower and quinoa for dinner tonight. I put mint, rosemary and cumin in the quinoa, but it wasn't all that great, so I can't recommend it.

Cauliflower. Eesh. I have been eating some of the... gassiest foods lately, including some kimchi (straight from the container, eaten with chopsticks). As much as I love the cauliflower and the cabbage and the wasabi peas... they can be evil, evil things to eat. Fun.

No comments: